- You pull the first card. You draw that many circles.
- Draw again and with that number you put tallies in each circle.
- Count the tallies and you have your answer.
- You draw a four. You draw four circles.
- Draw again and your get five. Tally five in each of circles.
- Count all your tallies and you’ve got your answer.
This is a strategy that’s pretty easy and helps children understand the concept of multiplication.
Make sure your you tell your kid that even if you know your tables well, there’s no shame in using this strategy for difficult problems. If you don’t know the problem than you’ve got to find a strategy that gets the answer!